Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Apple Varieties Disappear from U.S. Markets : Slow Food USA

Hey guys, sorry for the lapse in posting. I've been super busy with my "real job" but I have a few posts lined up ready to roll. I found this on Alice Waters FB page, she's the founder/chef of Chez Panisse in Berkely, CA and renaissance woman of all things local & sustainable. An inspiraion to me and many.

This article is about the dissapearing varieties of heirloom apples. Heirloom varieties of fruits & vegetable are such amazing things. Each of them endemic to a specific region or genetic line, most times considered "ugly" since they dont often look like the commercial varieties that have been raised for looks rather than taste (sounds ridiculous doesn't it? but very true) but absolutely BURSTING with flavor. Here in the Redland we can get many strains of Heirloom tomatoes (my favorites are the green zebras) but thats a whole nother post ;).

Till next time, keep it local, keep it fresh, keep it good
R.

Apple Varieties Disappear from U.S. Markets : Slow Food USA

No comments:

Post a Comment